Sunday, November 11, 2012

Power Foods Recipe- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


On a family night out to B & N I found this amazing cookbook with whole food recipes. I was not able to get it that day, but just about every single recipe in this cookbook I wanted to try, so I saved & came back to get it later.
I have really been passionate about finding healthy whole food recipes. If it is gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, or raw I am very interested in trying it. Although, it does need to still taste good ;)
My hubby & I do our grocery shopping bi-weekly, so I used this cookbook to meal plan for 2 weeks & I feel healthier already!

This is one of the things I made with this cookbook:

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

This was my first time roasting my own peppers. It is super easy & you don't have to worry about preservatives or any other added ingredients. I adjusted this recipe a little.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

3 red bell peppers
2 cups of garbanzo beans (I used the dried ones & then cooked them with water in my crockpot for 3 hours)
whole wheat pita, toasted
1 garlic clove
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 cup of vegetable broth
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
2 tsp grapeseed oil, plus more for drizzling
salt & pepper to taste

Wash peppers & place them in a rimmed pan & drizzle oil over top. Place in a 400 degree oven & roast until blackened all over. Turning when needed. Take out of the oven &
transfer peppers to a bowl with a lid & let sit & steam for 15 min. Using paper towel, rub off skins, & then remove stems, seeds & ribs.

Place peppers in food processor. Add beans, garlic, vinegar, oil, lemon juice, paprika, cumin. Blend. Stir in salt & pepper.
Serve with toasted whole wheat pita or carrot sticks.

No comments: